Thursday, March 17, 2011

Do you use ATMs regardless of fees?

When I need to get some cash, I invariably head to the ATM at my bank in my hometown to replenish the always dwindling supply.

I can count on three fingers the number of times I've had to use an ATM not affiliated with my bank, and pay the fees that come with that convenience.

But I know some people who will use whatever ATM is handy, fees notwithstanding. They might change their behavior if they see higher fees coming their way.

CNN reports that some of the nation's biggest banks are testing out higher fees -- as much as $5 for non-customers. Add on the $2 or $3 that your own bank charges for going out of network, and a withdrawal of $20 could cost you closer to $30.

I know the location of at least a dozen of my bank's ATMs within a 10 or 15-mile radius of my home. Those 'little' $2 or $3 fees can add up quickly, and I'd rather head to my bank's ATMs and avoid them.

But not everyone is that lucky. Do you think before you get cash from an ATM? Or do you just figure that an extra $10 or $15 a month in 'convenience' charges are acceptable? And would a $5 charge stop you from getting cash from an out-of-network ATM, while a $2 or $3 charge doesn't?

No comments: