Tuesday, November 8, 2011

When Was the Last Time You Wrote Something?

I heard a rumor that schools will no longer be teaching handwriting in classes - no more cursive lessons. I have yet to confirm or deny this, but it really has me thinking. My son is going to be growing up in a world that is totally different than mine.

The way he communicates with friend, the way he learns, the way he views the world, will be totally different thanks to technology. It's not a bad thing, but it's definitely different. I guess there's no need to write when you can type. Call me old fashioned, but I miss the days of hand written letters. There's just something to be said of going to the mailbox and pulling out a letter addressed to you. You know the person that sent it once held the same paper your holding and took the time to sit down and pen a message. It's a person's time and effort for YOU right there in the palm of your hands.

So, this week, I sat down and wrote letters to a few friends. I said the same things I would have said in an email, but on paper. I'm sure they thought I was crazy, but I'm also positive it put a smile on their face to get a piece of mail from me.

Moms, when was the last time you sat down and wrote a letter?

No comments: