Monday, December 8, 2008

200 Million Weapons Owned by US Citizens

A recent reply at a security sight caught my attention . . .

"The Coming Terrorist Attacks VERY IMPORTANT REPORT

Today I read that 200,000,000 weapons are privately owned by US citizens and 30,000 people per year are killed by these weapons. Is somebody able to explain me why 30,000 victims per year are tolerated whenkilled by private weapons, but far less cannot betolerated when killed by terrorists or even in war?

What is the difference for the victims?

Unfortunately, the news message did not inform about the number of peoplewho could be saved by private weapons. Maybe, this number is higher than 30,000. If so, it would not be a satisfying but an intelligible answer for me. But I would prefer that the 30,000 is ahoax!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really? It would be interesting to know where this numbers come from. 30K people? I have neever seen that kind of data expressed by any federal agency that keeps track of this numbers, as far as saving other people? well I do agree that, if I were to help protect someone with my gun I would not report it to the police unless I had to use it. Otherwise I would have to explain why I carry a gun in the first place (even though I have a permit to do so)/ I believe that it happens more often that we would like to believe.
However,if someone was trying to break into my house! that is another story. Saving my family myself is the No # 1 choise, now crime prevention, is predicated on the fact that good guys are armed and the would be bad guys won't take a chance to find out if is true or not that we are armed).
So I would like to believe that such numbers are hogwash, voiced by people "fearmongers" who are really afraid of personal gun ownership, people that would have no qualms about abusing the law to bully those that believe in the law and freedom of choice.

The moment that we loose the choice, we are doomed to be governed by unscrupulos individuals; fully aware that we can not defend ourselfs.
Thus, to which fear do we sucumb? That guns hurt and kill people? or that people hurts people for their own nefarious ends? ... we will see in a few weeks won't we?

Bill Rogers said...

PDF] !RIB-Guns in AmericaFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
In 1994, 44 million Americans. owned 192 million firearms, 65. million of which were handguns. ...... years earlier twice as many long guns. were sold. ...

From a Google search